Sunday, November 3, 2013

My Most Recent Allergic Reaction

 Last week, I had an allergic reaction at my older sister's birthday party. It was pretty scary because I hadn't had an allergic reaction in a long time. Here's what happened.

We don't normally eat french fries. We eat yam fries. But at my sister's party, we put out french fries. I tried a small amount of them. At first I felt fine, but after dinner,  I sensed that something was wrong. My lips were getting puffy and I got bumps that felt like (but definitely weren't!) canker sores in my mouth. My throat felt a little dry. I told my mom about my symptoms, and she gave me four Benadryls. I started crying, because I didn't know if I was going to need an Epi-pen or if I was going to have to go to the hospital.

My mom checked the bag of french fries one more time. There weren't any dairy, tree nuts, or sesame in it, so we didn't exactly know what the problem was. I never went to the hospital, and I never had to use my Epi-pen because the Benadryl worked, but that was a very scary experience. Warning to all people with food allergies: Even if the ingredient labels on new foods look okay, be careful.

No comments:

Post a Comment