Friday, November 8, 2013

How To Get Through A Challenge

I outgrew my egg allergy when I was younger. I was very excited but scared. I didn't know exactly what to expect. I was in third grade, I had to miss some school, and I had to eat a lot of scrambled eggs, even though I didn't like them. Here's what happened.

I was in third grade, like I said above. I got out of school and went to the allergist with my mom. I got a skin test, and then the challenge began. I ate a tiny amount of scrambled eggs, barely a forkful, and swallowed. It tasted horrible! I went to wait in the waiting room to see what happened. Nothing happened, so we continued on. I was forced to eat eggs. The amount of eggs kept increasing and increasing until it got to a full bowl. I quickly swallowed that down, and outgrew my egg allergy! I was relieved that nothing had gone wrong. If you're getting a challenge like this, you should:

1. Stay cautious. You could still be allergic to the food that you're having a challenge on, and you may have an allergic reaction.

2. Take deep breaths if you're nervous. I was extremely nervous!

3. Tell your allergist the truth about your symptoms. They're there to help, and if you don't tell the truth and have an allergic reaction, they'll be less prepared.

You'll be fine. Good luck!






2 comments:

  1. Kate, you're very brave. Let's have some eggs for breakfast tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete