Saturday, February 20, 2016

How to Read a Label (Part 2)

Hello everyone, I hope you had a Happy Valentine's Day!

I thought the best way to kick off the first post in the new year was to finally finish the second half of a post that I wrote previously about reading a product's label. To view that post, click here. The first post was an introduction to reading labels on foods and other products. I provided an example of me reading a random label. I give a couple of tips and tricks, and more will be given today! Let's get started!

I have a January birthday which just recently passed, and I spent the special day with some of my friends at a rock climbing gym. It was a great day, and since I had such a good time I thought that I would share some of the memories with you. The night before the party, my mom and I baked the cake for my party. At the beginning of the week, I had gone on Pinterest with my sister and mom to look for rock climbing cake ideas, and in the end we came up with a delicious and cool cake: yellow cupcakes with chocolate chunks in the batter, frosted with chocolate frosting and decorated with irregular shaped jelly beans and white frosting "ropes", pull apart style! The cake was designed to look like a rock climbing wall, and it turned out amazing! Below I've put some pictures of the cake :) and of the ingredients of the jelly beans. Check them out!

If you look closely at the ingredients on the jelly beans (the bottom picture), in the end of the 5th line and the beginning of the 6th line, you will see that one of the ingredients in these jelly beans is lactic acid. In part one of this post, I told you that lactic acid can sometimes contain dairy, which is one of my allergens! My mom and I didn't want to go searching for another package of irregular jelly beans because they were difficult to find, but we didn't know what to do because of the lactic acid. If you run across this problem, it's the safest to call the manufacturer (their contact information is usually under the ingredient label or somewhere on the back or side of the package) and ask them! If you plan on eating that food out somewhere, like I planned on eating it on my cake at the rock climbing gym, you might want to eat a small portion of the product to make sure you are 100% not allergic to that food.


Thanks you for reading My Food Allergy Life. Talk to you in my next post!


1 comment:

  1. OK Kate
    SO, cliff hanger? I am guessing that the manufacturer said the lactic acid was not of milk-origin? So did you try the cake before the party and it worked OK?

    Tks, love you,and, Happy Birthday again!
    Love, Grandma Sandy

    ReplyDelete