Sunday, March 16, 2014

Snack Situation

Hi guys! Sorry I haven't written since December. I guess you could say I've been a bit busy with the holidays and school.

In 6th grade, we have snack-time right after that day's special class: P.E. (gym), art, music, or media (library). Of course, students aren't allowed to bring in chocolates, goldfish, trail mix, cheese puffs, etc. So, how my teacher, my parents and I keep me safe is that we made a snack list. The list had treats and foods that the class is allowed to bring in. Each snack, from fresh fruit to gummy snacks, my mom had specified what brand(s) are safe and what brands aren't. She's talked to each of my teachers since first grade (or possibly before that!) and worked out a way to maintain the kids bringing in safe food for eating. The way it is this year is my teacher stands outside in the hallway, close to the door of the classroom, with me. As kids get their snacks from their locker and walk into the room, I check to make sure that the snack is safe. If I know it isn't, I say, "Save it for lunch time!" If I'm not sure about the food, then I read the ingredient label to determine if it has anything bad in it. If it doesn't have an ingredient label, then I say, "Nope, sorry, not allowed!" When we have a substitute teacher, I do the same thing as if the real teacher was there, but I do it completely on my own.

So, sometimes snacks are a challenge, but I can handle it!

2 comments:

  1. Reading labels can be tricky. I'm glad you're learning how to do this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate
    You are becoming very much an expert in this difficult matter. I am sure the practice will serve you well as you venture into your teens and beyond and have to gradually become totally responsible for your food.
    Grandma sandy

    ReplyDelete